10 March 11 March is National Nutrition Month
Organized by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, March is officially National Nutrition Month, and the theme to this year's awareness month is Eat Right with Color! In line with the recently rereleased 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which suggests an increase in plant-based foods, this March event is an opportunity for everyone to consider ways to increase the presence of nutritious, colorful foods on your plate every day, including lean meats and fish, low-fat milk and dairy products and an assortment of seasonal and fresh vegetables and fruits.
The campaign focuses attention on the importance of making better informed food choices while developing sound eating and physical activity habits. One easily remembered slogan for helping you Eat Right with Color! this month is to think, Taste the Rainbow:
- Green produce carries antioxidants and may help with healthy vision and reduced cancer risks.
- Orange and dark yellow fruits and vegetables have nutrients which promote healthy vision and immunity, and they may reduce the risk of some cancers.
- Purple and blue foods (think cabbage and blueberries) may have antioxidants and anti-aging benefits. They may also help you with memory, urinary tract health and reduced cancer risks.
- Red indicates produce that may help maintain heart health, vision, immunity and reduced cancer risks.
- White, tan and brown foods can contain nutrients that promote a healthy heart, as well as reduced cancer risks.
- When It Comes To Diet, Resolve to "Do", Not to "Don't"
- When is the best time to eat a salad? Before, during or after a meal?
- Five Tips to Increase Your Chances of Getting Pregnant
- Stay Slim and Enjoy Food: European Secrets of the Super-Healthy
- Healthy Eating on a Budget: Is It Possible?
- The Healthy Dollar Menu
- Gut bacteria - a new twist on weight loss
- How to Love Your Food
- Eat More Food!
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010
This article can be found at http://www.mynetdiary.com/march-is-national-nutrition-month.html