1 eggplant, unpeeled (approx 1-1/4 lb) Eggplant raw
6 sprays, about 1/3 second each spray Vegetable cooking spray oil
1 tablespoon Olive or extra virgin olive oil
1 cup, chopped Onions raw
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning dried
1/4 tsp Table Salt Iodized
3 cup, pieces or slices Mushrooms white raw
15 oz Tomato sauce canned no salt added
1 cup, shredded Mozzarella cheese part skim low moisture
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Turn oven on to high broil.
- Peel eggplant and slice very thin. Cut horizontally so that the slices are circles.
- Lightly spray eggplant with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Broil eggplant for about 4 minutes on each side or until browned but not burnt. Remove from oven and set aside. Turn broiler off!
- Add extra virgin olive oil to a large nonstick skillet and set burner to medium heat.
- Add onion, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, and mushrooms to pan and saute for 4-5 minutes or until onion and mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Mince garlic then add to pan and saute for another 1 minute.
- Spray vegetable oil cooking spray into a 1½ quart oven-safe baking dish. You can check the bottom of your baking dish to find the quart size.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Next, layer the baking dish in this order:
+ Half of the onion mixture and spread to cover the bottom of the baking dish.
+ Half of the eggplant slices.
+ Half of the tomato sauce.
+ Half of the shredded mozzarella cheese.
+ Remaining half of onion mixture.
+ Remaining half of eggplant slices.
+ Remaining half of tomato sauce.
- Cover baking dish and bake for 50 minutes. You can cover with aluminum foil if your baking dish does not have an oven-safe cover.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese along with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for another 10 minutes so that cheese melts.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes then serve.
Garnished with fresh basil leaves in recipe photo.