1 medium (2-1/2" dia) Onions raw
1 large (7-1/4" to 8-1/2" long) Carrots raw
1/2 cup Barley pearled dry uncooked
15 fl oz Tomatoes diced canned no salt added
1 tsp, leaves Oregano dried
1 tsp Cilantro or coriander leaves dried
10 oz Spinach all varieties raw
- Wash and sort lentils, removing any stones.
- Chop onion and garlic and carrot.
- Combine all ingredients, except for spinach, in a large stockpot.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender.
- Add spinach at the very end of cooking, stir until spinach is wilted, and then serve.
You can use frozen spinach in this recipe if you prefer - just add a few minutes before the end of the cooking cycle so that the spinach is heated through.