1/4 cup, chopped Onions red raw
10 olives Olives kalamata pitted
1 cup cherry tomatoes Tomatoes cherry raw
2 cup, pared, chopped Cucumber peeled raw
1/3 cup, crumbled Feta cheese
2 tablespoon Olive or extra virgin olive oil
1/2 lemon yields Lemon juice raw
1/4 cup Parsley fresh or raw herb
- Rinse quinoa (this will remove the bitter flavor from the saponins).
- Place quinoa in a medium pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, chop (or dice) the red onion, slice the Kalamata olives, quarter the cherry tomatoes, and dice the peeled cucumber.
- Remove quinoa from heat and keep covered for an additional 5 minutes, then fluff quinoa with fork. Set aside and let the quinoa cool.
- Once quinoa is cool, top with olives, red onion, tomatoes, feta, and cucumber.
- Drizzle quinoa mixture with olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss well. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy immediately or serve cold.
Makes 6 cups
1 serving = 1 cup
This quick quinoa salad packs protein and fiber for a healthy weekday lunch option. Feel free to jazz it up with even more vegetable options like bell peppers or spinach. Add garbanzo beans or chicken for more protein. Just be sure to add those additional food items to your food log for a more accurate nutritional analysis.