1 1/2 lb Turkey ground 93% lean 7% fat raw
1 tablespoon Olive or extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cup, chopped Onions raw
1 1/2 cup, chopped Peppers sweet green raw
30 oz Tomato sauce canned no salt added
1 tsp, leaves Basil dried
1 tsp, leaves Oregano dried
1 tsp Fennel seed ground or whole
- Saute ground turkey in 1 tsp of olive oil in a large dutch oven pot on medium high heat. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Saute onion in remaining olive oil for about 5 min on medium heat.
- Add green pepper, sliced mushrooms, and minced garlic and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, balsamic vinegar, salt, dried basil, dried oregano, dried fennel, and dried bay leaf.
- Add cooked turkey.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes but simmering for 2 hours will taste the best.
Total yield = 7 servings
1 serving = 1 cup
Served with whole wheat spaghetti and garnished with fresh basil leaves in recipe photo (not included in recipe analysis).
Use packaged sliced mushrooms to save time.
If you want to lower the sodium content further, use No Salt Added Tomato paste, and omit salt (or use a reduced sodium salt or sodium free salt substitute).