24 oz Beef flank steak lean and fat trimmed to 0" raw
12 oz Baby spring mix lettuce prewashed packaged
5 beets (2" dia, sphere) Beets boiled without salt
2 cup, cubes Butternut squash baked without salt
1 cup, grated Carrots raw
6 tablespoon Pumpkin seed kernels (shelled) roasted without salt
- Broil or grill flank steak as you prefer. Typically, 4 minutes of high heat on each side is sufficient. When flank steak is cooked, allow it to rest for 10 minutes then cut across the grain so that it is tender and easy to chew. Set aside.
- Place baby spring mix lettuce in a very large bowl.
- If you are cooking beets from scratch, boil or bake for about 45 minutes. If you grill, wrap in aluminum foil and grill for 30 minutes. Cool beets then remove outside skin and chop into bite sized pieces. Add to lettuce bowl.
- If you are cooking butternut from scratch, bake or grill for about 35 minutes or microwave whole with long slits cut lengthwise for only 10 minutes. Allow to cool, slice off tough skin, and then chop flesh into bite sized pieces. Add to lettuce bowl.
- Add grated (or shredded) raw carrot and pumpkin seed kernels to lettuce bowl.
- Add balsamic vinaigrette to bowl and toss well to coat.
- Divide salad contents evenly onto 6 plates.
- Top with 3 oz of sliced flank steak per plate.
Prep timesavers - use packaged cooked beets and prewashed/chopped butternut squash (which you will still have to cook).
Marinades only absorb a fraction of the total marinade mixture. This recipe does not include a marinade for the flank steak. If you choose to use a marinade, then log only 25% - 30% of the total amount used. This will help you get a more accurate nutritional analysis of calories, fat grams, and sodium.
You can use your own balsamic vinaigrette or try MyNetDiary's "Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing" recipe.