10 sprays, about 1/3 second each spray Vegetable cooking spray oil
16oz Tofu extra firm made with nigari
1 tsp Lemon peel or zest raw
1 tsp, leaves Oregano dried
4 tbsp Olive or extra virgin olive oil
1 pepper, large (3-3/4" long, 3" dia) Peppers sweet yellow raw
1 medium (2-1/2" dia) Onions red raw
16 cherry Tomatoes red raw
2 tbsp Tomato paste canned
- Spray grill with high-heat safe cooking spray. Preheat grill to 350F (medium heat).
- With a clean cloth or paper towel, pat tofu dry, and then cut into 1-inch cubes. Place tofu in a medium bowl.
- Add lemon zest and juice, oregano, half of the salt (1/4 tsp), half of the black pepper (1/4 tsp), and only 1 tbsp of olive oil to the bowl. Stir to coat tofu. Allow tofu to marinate for 10 minutes. If you are preparing the tofu ahead of time, marinate for up to one day in the refrigerator.
- Cut unpeeled eggplant into 1-inch pieces. Cut zucchini into 16 slices. Cut yellow pepper into 1-inch pieces. Cut red onion into 1-inch chunks or wedges that can stay on a skewer.
- In a large bowl, combine eggplant, zucchini, yellow pepper, red onion, and cherry tomato with the remaining 3 tbsp oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Stir to coat vegetables.
- Remove tofu from marinade. Keep the marinade nearby as you will need it soon.
- Thread tofu and vegetable pieces onto 8 skewers. Alternate order of tofu and vegetables so that each skewer has a colorful mix. Use 12-inch long skewers for easier threading and grilling.
- Whisk tomato paste with the leftover tofu marinade. Brush tops of loaded skewers with about half of the marinade.
- Place skewers on grill, marinade side up (not touching the grill). Grill for 3-5 minutes. Turn skewers over, brush tops, and grill for another 3-5 minutes or until lightly charred.
- Remove from grill and serve 2 skewers per person.
1 medium eggplant is about 11 oz.
This recipe can also be made in your oven using an oiled broiler pan. Broil for about 5-6 minutes on each side.