14oz Tofu extra firm made with nigari
1 tsp Cumin seed ground or whole
15oz Black beans canned low sodium
1 cup Corn sweet yellow frozen kernels unprepared
1/2 cup, chopped Onions green spring or scallions raw
1/4 cup Cilantro or coriander leaves fresh or raw herb
6 tortilla medium Tortillas whole wheat flour
- Slice block of tofu in half and lay each half on 2 clean kitchen towels. Cover the tofu with another 2 clean kitchen towels and then place a heavy object (such as a cast iron skillet) on top of the tofu (for about 10 minutes) to press and drain out the water.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat.
- While oil is heating, crumble the drained tofu.
- Add tofu, chili powder, cumin and salt to skillet and saute for about 10-12 minutes or until tofu is browned. Remove to bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, beans, corn (frozen or thawed is fine), and scallions to skillet and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add tofu and chopped cilantro to skillet and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave by wrapping all 6 in a moist paper towel for 30 seconds at a time until the tortillas feel warm to the touch.
- Divide tofu mixture evenly across the 6 tortillas. Place the tofu mixture at the lower end of the tortilla, and then tightly roll upwards, tucking the sides as you go. Serve immediately or wrap in foil and freeze.
Omit Step 7 if you are going to put the burritos into the freezer right after cooking.
To reheat frozen burritos, remove foil, place on a microwavable plate, and heat on high for 2 minutes.
These burritos taste great with a side of salsa. Consider making your own if you need to limit sodium.