2 tbsp Olive or extra virgin olive oil
12oz Mushrooms portabella raw
1 medium (2-1/2" dia) Onions raw
1 medium (approx 2-3/4" long, 2-1/2" dia) Peppers sweet green raw
2 1/2 tablespoon Fajita seasoning mix
8 tortilla Tortillas corn
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a large skillet and heat to medium-high heat.
- Slice portobello mushrooms into 1/2-inch strips. Add to skillet and saute for 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- While mushrooms are cooking, cut onion and sweet pepper into thin strips.
- Add onion, sweet pepper, and remaining 1 tbsp oil to skillet and saute for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add mushrooms, water, and fajita seasoning to skillet and continue to cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Top mushroom mixture evenly among all 8 tortillas. Each serving is 2 tortillas.
Fajitas can be served with corn or flour tortillas. If you prefer flour tortillas, try whole wheat or whole grain.
Most supermarkets sell fajita seasoning. To control sodium, this recipe uses 2 1/2 tbsp. To lower sodium further, use a salt-free fajita seasoning or make your own from scratch.
Boost protein by serving tortillas with black beans or your favorite high-protein plant milk.