The Best Commercial Food Database
MyNetDiary food database is one of the most complete, accurate and up-to-date nutrition databases in the world. Our food database is a solid foundation for providing high-quality calorie counting and nutrition analysis to MyNetDiary members.
Here, at MyNetDiary, we realize that inaccurate or out-of-date food database can undermine the whole idea of diet tracking, analyzing and planning. This is why we have established a process for continuous extension, rigorous verification and continuous quality improvement of food data.
Quick Facts about MyNetDiary Food Database
- 363,000 verified system foods from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom and Australia. User-contributed foods are excluded from the licensed data set.
- Up to 36 nutrients per food, on average 14 nutrients per food.
- Multiple servings, up to 10 per food.
- Food popularity rank based on usage in our community of 4 million people.
- UPC bar codes assigned to majority of popular packaged foods.
- Food icons assigned to majority of popular foods enabling creation of beautiful food entry screens and reports.
- There are more than 600 restaurants among more than 1,390 food vendors in MyNetDiary database, including well-known brands, restaurants, fast food chains, supermarkets, special diets, ethnic foods and common USDA foods.
Nutrition Research Process
If you look under the hood, you may notice that our research and quality assurance teams give a lot of attention to completeness and correctness of the data. Every change is double-checked by our quality assurance team and clever algorithms.
Keeping the data up-to-date is challenging since food industry is a dynamic, ever-changing world. Food vendors sell and buy brands, vendors change their name while growing the business or vendors clarify their nutrition labels over time. We meet theese challenges with continuous monitoring and periodic, prioritized research of such vendors and brands.
Avoiding duplication is another important goal of the research process. It is hard to avoid duplication because of re-packaging and re-branding of the same products and their slight variations. We treat duplication as an anomaly and remove it within 24 hours after noticing.
We perform on-demand, customer-driven food research. Our PhotoFood service allows mobile users to take a photo of food package and food label, which are processed by our team within 24 hours or faster. We add hundreds of foods every day while removing obsolete or duplicated foods.
We work with restaurants and food companies to add and update their menus and products in our food database. If you represent a restaurant or a food company, please e-mail email@example.com to get your products included.
Other data sources include the USDA Standard Reference database and data from literature sources.
Comparison with Competitors
- MyNetDiary food database now lists over 363,000 foods! It's much bigger than other popular verified databases, such as CalorieKing!
- Many databases have obsolete nutrition data. Our continuous food research and popularity ranking helps us keep the database up-to-date. We add or update hundreds of foods each day.
- MyNetDiary's food database includes not only packaged foods, but many restaurant chains and individual restaurants.
- Unlike competitors, we research multiple servings per food whenever possible. Other food databases list (and count!) different servings as different foods, having for example, dozens of Coca-Cola "foods".
- We maintain hierarchical food catalog, which makes it convenient to browse big vendors like Wegmans or Tesco. Competitors' catalogs are usually flat, making it difficult to browse and find foods.
- We research foods on demand, when a user sends PhotoFood request via mobile app. None of our competitors does this.
Food Database and Nutrition Licensing
MyNetDiary Inc. licenses MyNetDiary's food database for commercial and research purposes. The license does not allow reselling the data or exposing the database for free access.
The standard cost of the food database license is $35,000 USD, without any time limitations (i.e. this is a perpetual license). The license includes 4 database updates during the first year of licensing. After that, you can keep using the database without further updates. If you would like to keep updating the database, we provide additional database updates for $7,000 USD per year.
Our Food Database Customers
Among our customers are established wellness companies, health kiosks companies, and mobile app developers.
Data samples and specifications
You can see MyNetDiary food labels with icons and rankings on Food Search page.
Please send your requests and questions to MyNetDiary Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.