29 March 11 Don't Let Your Weight Cut Your Life Short!Too often, we find our drive to sustain lifestyle choices that allow us to lose weight or maintain lost weight start to wane. It is precisely at that point that we have to remind ourselves why it is important to make the effort – to live. It is easy to lose sight of the fact that we might be walking time bombs since we don't always feel bad with excess body fat. But excess fat has profound effects on both our physical and mental states of health.
Since I have lost loved ones from diseases where extra body fat played a direct role in their demise, weight control is a special interest of mine. It pains me to witness my loved ones, as well as patients, die young or suffer because of their body weight. That is the main reason why I specialize in weight control.
Too much body fat, especially around the waist, means we are more likely to die at a younger age. Our risk for chronic diseases that reduce quality of life, disable, and/or kill us is also higher. Obesity is typically defined by having a Body Mass Index (BMI) of ? 30. BMI is our weight in kilograms divided by the square of our height in meters. Waist circumference will add more information about disease risk. Men with a waist larger than 40 inches (102 cm) and women with a waist larger than 35 inches (88 cm) are at higher risk for diseases associated with obesity. See the list below for diseases and conditions that are related to obesity in the United States (and in other industrialized nations).
- Heart Disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- High blood cholesterol
- Liver and gallbladder disease
- Cancer (esp. colon, uterus, esophagus, kidney, and postmenopausal breast cancer)
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Psychosocial problems (e.g. stress, depression, discrimination, isolation)
- Joint problems (e.g. osteoarthritis)
- Sleep Apnea and respiratory problems
- Abnormal menstrual periods and infertility in women
- The Joy of Exercising is in the Now not the Future
- Keep Your Motivation Tank From Dipping Too Low
- How Weight Loss Success Stories Can Motivate You!
- The Curvy Road to Weight Loss (and Back)
- Incentivize Your Way to Weight Loss Success
- MyNetDiary Mid-Year Check-In – Success Stories
- What Helps Us Make the Better Food Choice?
- Living the Organized Life
- Tune it Up! Why Music Adds ‘Muscle' to Your Workout
- Be a Success Story
This article can be found at https://www.mynetdiary.com/dont-let-your-weight-cut-your-life-short-too.html