24 March 11 Spring Has Sprung, Now Let’s Burn Some Calories
With the arrival of Spring comes budding trees, blooming flowers, blowing winds and best of all, Spring cleaning. Say again? Yes, Spring cleaning season is yet another opportunity to burn some calories and inch our way closer (pun intended!) to Summer/bathing suit season.
No one is looking for an excuse to stay indoors now that the days are longer and the weather is getting warmer, but consider the tradition of Spring cleaning a chance to get creative, burn some calories and drop a pound. Remember, it takes losing 3,500 to lose one pound of body fat. So take the Spring Cleaning Challenge and tally your calories burned to see if you can lose 3,500 calories by doing chores in the next week or two.
How can this be done? By adding intensity to your movements. According to MyNetDiary, average light housekeeping burns around 2-5/kcal per minute (depending on your weight, gender and age of course). However, intense cleaning - like moving boxes, digging out gutters and scrubbing floors can nearly double that amount. But you can tweak the little stuff too and use it to get closer to completing the Spring Cleaning Challenge.
Here are a few tips to get you going:
- To make vacuuming a supreme quad-burner, add lunges (just keep your toes straight and your knees no further than 90 degrees).
- Taking a load of laundry downstairs to wash? Add a couple flights by carrying the full basket back up and down two or three times.
- Reach for the tall stuff - incorporating bigger movements when cleaning (like washing the shower door) burns more calories than the Karate-Kid-style of “wipe on, wipe off.”
- And engage those abs as much as possible - be it while sweeping or mopping or folding clothes.
To help keep you moving, put on some fast music while you’re working, and don’t be afraid to turn it up. Look for extra tasks to do. Tackle those spots in the garage and basement that have been neglected year after year.Have questions or comments about this post? Please feel free to comment on MyNetDiary's Community Forum or Facebook page – We would love to hear from you. And consider visiting our new Pinterest page!
- Cold Weather, Exercise, and Injuries
- How Much Exercise to Burn That Off?
- The Benefits of Proper Breathing During Exercise
- Be the Best Workout Partner You Can Be
- To Cool Down or Not to Cool Down, That is the Question
- What to Look for in a Personal Trainer?
- Five Holiday Fitness Tips
- Consistency Through Change
- The New 80/20 Rule
- How to Exercise While in a Hotel without a Gym or Pool
This article can be found at https://www.mynetdiary.com/spring-has-sprung-now-lets-burn-some-calories.html