January 9 2015 Be Nice: It Will Help Others Lose Weight
“The pen is mightier than the sword” may translate to, “Kind words keep down the pounds.” According to a new study published in Personal Relationships, researchers found that women who often heard words conveying acceptance of their body image and size either maintained, or lost, weight. Whereas women who were criticized by friends and family about weight issues tended to gain weight, in fact, about 4.5 pounds of weight on average.
The women in the study were university-age, and according to the study’s press release, categorized as a “demographic often dissatisfied with personal weight.” After asking women questions about their weight and feelings, researchers connected again with the women after five months, again asking about how they engaged with family and friends about their weight concerns.
They found that those women who were unsupported gained weight, about 4.5 pounds. Psychology has long shown links between strong social support and increased physical health. One recent study even found a positive correlation between a stronger immune system and…hugs!
The aim of the study, as it reads, is not to suggest that our friends and family offer to help us lose weight. “These comments are misguided,” says lead researcher, Christine Logel, of the University of Waterloo. “An important part of social support is feeling that our loved ones accept us just the way we are.”
What are your thoughts? As we head into a new year, at a time when many of us have made strong commitments to be healthy, do you have a strong social support team in place? Share your tips with others.Have questions or comments about this post? Please feel free to comment on MyNetDiary's Community Forum or Facebook page – We would love to hear from you. And consider visiting our new Pinterest page!
- Is Your Self-Talk Helping or Hurting Your Progress with Healthy Lifestyle?
- How to Build Strong Friendships around Your Health Goals
- A Dietitian's Top 10 Recommendations for Healthy Living
- Oh really? Long Term Weight Loss is Impossible?
- Trying to Lose Weight? Accept Your Body Along the Way
- Manage Stress to Help You Manage Calories
- The Mental Challenges of Losing Weight
- What Helps Us Make the Better Food Choice?
- Chew More, Eat Less, Weigh Less?
- Boost Your Willpower by Exercising It (and Feeding It!)
This article can be found at https://www.mynetdiary.com/be-nice-it-will-help-others-lose-weight.html